I have always enjoying writing. I remember writing stories for fun as a kid. I believe I started my first journal/diary in 3rd or 4th grade and have kept a rather consistent journal since the 8th grade. Writing just always came easy and naturally to me. I've never thought much about it; it's really just always been an extension of myself, my form of communication, and therapeutic. That has deepened in the past few years since my relationship with Jesus has begun to grow and deepen. My journaling/writing evolved into prayer, a form of worship, a way to connect; a way to process and think and discover truth.
For the past year or so, I've lost my habit of journaling, of writing anything really, save weekly sermon notes and to-do lists. This change has coincided with my getting married. I certainly lay no blame on my marriage for this. However, as those of you who are married can probably attest to, priorities simply change and rearrange upon getting married. I now have someone around all the time, with whom I can (and do!) share all my thoughts and feelings with, therefore I don't write them down anymore-I speak them. But as much as I do share with my husband (everything), there has still been a lack of...processing, of going deeper, in my mind and soul, as it seems only happens when I write.
Thus, I have struggled countless times to reform the habit over the last several months. And I have failed countless times. I have heard the Lord calling me to write again and I have been utterly frustrated with my journal, because I just don't know what to write anymore. "There's nothing to write about," I argue, with God and myself. Still, I hear that gentle prodding, "Write."
Now, I will pause to disclaim: in spite of what I have thus far written, I honestly don't consider myself a great writer. I was never an English major. As I am typing how much I write, I am thinking of those friends with whom I have failed to uphold my end of the pen-pal relationship. If that applies to you-I sincerely apologize! (Particularly in this past year, when my writer's block has been thickest and I have been hard pressed to write anything at all.)
I have read two ladies' thoughts (on Facebook) in the past week who shared my sentiment, "I need to start writing again." And that, along with some revelations from the Lord this week, has pushed me to dive back in. When I read those, especially after reading the second, I had that moment that I referenced in my first post-that ME TOO!! moment. It's strengthening and powerful. So, thanks to those ladies.
And that brings me here, to this blog. Perhaps I just needed a new outlet for my thoughts-a blog. But even more than that, I think I needed a purpose to write again. And that purpose is you, whoever you may be. I pray that in the posts to come, that the Lord's words and truth would outshine anything that comes from me. I pray that what He is teaching me will echo with you, that you may draw nearer to Him, that He will draw nearer to you, and that He will be glorified in it all.
So I leave you with this question: What is the Lord asking you to do? Even if it seems silly, insignificant, small, worthless, mundane, whatever. What is it? Know that He can use anything for His glory and His good will. Even if it makes zero sense, submit. Dive in. You may be in for a great surprise at what He will do. Then again, you may never see the effects or purpose. No matter. Trust Him. Listen. And follow.
This is the day the Lord has made, let us REJOICE and be GLAD in it! :)
Psalm 118:24
No comments:
Post a Comment